the Senegalese experience|experiment

04 February, 2010

questions [with answers]

So Rachael [yet another shout-out; she's a faithful, and vocal, reader-- other people can have shoutouts if they write to me] had several questions, and I thought they were so poignant that I should answer them publicly; at least some of them which I have substantial answers to (sorry for the dangling prepositions) If anyone else has pressing questions based on previous entries (or on ones that follow), this is the place to ask them.


Q. Have you found a sincere [non-money-grubbing] husband candidate?

A. Guys are actually really... insincere, at least towards white women. They often make creepy kissing noises and say "Je t'aime" [I love you] when, in fact, they don't even know your name. It's definitely difficult to separate the wheat from the really annoying. In general, you have to ignore guys completely, tune them out. I felt really bad the other night when I had left something in the supermarket, and a guy chased me down the street to give it back. But it's difficult to tell when someone is trying to sell you something, versus when he's trying to return something that belongs to you. It's quite unfortunate.
So, long story short: no. However, it's not impossible-- one out of three girls who came here with the Wells College last year got married during her time in Senegal (four and a half months). Guess it was a speedy courtship.

Q. How tough are the unwritten laws of clothing?
A. It's actually really hard to tell. The Senegalese are really tactful, and I get stared at all the time for being white, so it's hard to tell exactly why they're staring at me. In general, the rules about modesty are strange. You can literally not being wearing a bra, and have your cleavage significantly showing, and yet that will not be considered immodest. On the other hand, skirts shorter than the knee are pretty risque. So fashions here primarily include long skirts and sleeveless shirts, on hot days. Frankly, I'm not that into Senegalese fashion, but it's definitely a sight to see.

Q. Do you, or do you not, miss dessert?
A. Yes. A lot. On the other hand, if I can exercise self-control, I can get eight buttery cookies on the street for 100F cfa [about 25 cents]. Still, it's not quite the same. I'll be glad to come back to the dessert culture.

Q. Does it bother you that your food was recently alive, or do you like the closeness to the earth?
A. Actually, it's kind of cool that the food is completely fresh, with no horrifying factory chemicals or ethical reasons to become a vegetarian. The chicken that lived in the backyard a few hours ago is now sitting on my plate. Ultimately, it's pretty comforting (as long as I don't have to watch). And yes, in some poetic and beautiful and perhaps overly eager way, it brings me closer to the earth and to the culture of Senegal.
Mostly the things I eat don't really resemble the animals they used to be-- they even fry fish. When the fish is au naturel, it's slightly creepy because the eyes keep staring sadly back at me. But I don't like fish that much to begin with, so I don't feel very guilty.

Q. Have the mosquitoes mercilessly devoured what small sections of your flesh they have access to?
A. Actually, my new house is almost totally devoid of mosquitoes. I've gotten a few bites (probably on my way to or from the house), but insect repellent before bed is all I've needed. It's extremely nice, and somewhat unexpected. (Also unexpected: multiple fly bites. Who knew they were also hungry for my blood?)


Well, that ends the Thursday edition of Q&A. Hope you've found it extremely helpful, while covering wide and varied subject matter.

2 comments:

  1. hahahah, "the wheat from the really annoying"...chuckled out loud, at length. Still chuckling.

    I love how eating the fish is some subtle sort of passive-aggressive revenge for its very existance.

    And you should know I spent today doing nothing but going to teas and eating dessert. I would be much healthier in a non-dessert culture, anyway, if not happier. I don't think I'm allowed to send food in international packages, but who would want stale cookies when they can have 2/3 dozen of the buttery street variety for 1/3 the cost of a load of laundry? The laundry/cookie exchange rate there is MUCH better than here, let me tell you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've decided to stop eating cookies... they're way too cheap and way too tempting. I eat like five packages for a dollar, in about five minutes.

    ReplyDelete